Q & A with Lizi Ridgway from the cast of A Night To Remember



A Night To Remember will be the final Citizens Theatre production before we move out of our home in the Gorbals to enable a major redevelopment to take place. The story takes audiences back in time to the building's previous incarnation as the Royal Princess's Theatre for an evening of variety set on one eventful night in 1918.

The show features a large community cast made up of participants in the many drama activities and groups run by the Citizens Theatre as well as people from the local area, from across the city and beyond.

Lizi Ridgway is one of the cast members. Here, she fills us in on what it's like to be part of the production and how things are going in the rehearsal room ahead of opening night next week.

Lizi Ridgway

This is your first performance at the Citizens, why did you decide to get involved in A Night To Remember?

I always loved doing drama and music when I was at school but life got in the way once I left and started work. I had to content myself with being a drama queen in day-to-day life and the odd bit of karaoke. Earlier this year, after realising I had nothing to lose I dipped my toe with an amateur dramatics group. This only made me even keener! When I saw A Night To Remember advertised on the Citizens website I thought it sounded like a really interesting project so I dropped an email. I never thought I would be lucky enough to take part.

One of the many clothing rails stacking up in our wardrobe department for this epic community production

Can you tell us a bit about what you do in the play?


Through the course of the show I get to act out lots of different roles, including a patriot and a nurse. It's such a great ensemble piece as we all get to be involved in the very varied parts of the play. I guess it's a bit like life, where we are all different things at different times to different people.

What has been your favourite part of the process so far?

We always start with some excellent 'larking about' led by Neil (Citizens Theatre's Community Drama Director). I fully believe we don't get enough opportunities to play as adults. Getting to run about and be silly has been brilliant. From a more serious point of view, it has been really interesting learning about life 100 years ago. We really get to put ourselves in the character's shoes.

Lizi in the rehearsal room 

A Night To Remember is the final Citz production ahead of a major redevelopment. What are your hopes for the new building?

I love the way that the building currently has the beautiful, original features merged with more modern areas. I hope that this mix will continue in the new, revamped Citizens. The idea of having the statues looking down over the front of the building is very cool too.

Is there anything else you'd like to share about the project?

I really didn't know what to expect when I went to the first taster evening. To be honest I was nervous. I didn't know anyone and didn't have a lot of experience. Since I took the leap I've learnt so much (including 60 people's names!) and had a lot of fun. I'm not sure what I'm going to do with myself once the production is over. One thing is for sure, I will be looking to take part in Nightschool and hoping to be involved in future Community Theatre projects. I would highly recommend the whole experience to anyone.

Cast members in the rehearsal room

A Night To Remember will be the final Citizens production ahead of our building redevelopment. It runs 23 - 26 May. BOOK NOW

Part of the Southside Fringe Programme













Comments