Second week at the Citz

Hi, I'm Mairi, the new trainee actor at the Citizens. I just thought I'd write a wee bit about how I got here, and what I've been up to so far...

In June I was coming to the end of my third year at the Royal Welsh College of Music and Drama and I heard that the Citizens was looking for a graduating drama school student to work at the theatre for twelve months. I applied as soon as I heard, and after a couple of auditions (one in London, and one up here) I was offered the job. I was (and still am) over the moon to be given this opportunity, and after moving all my belongings back up to Scotland, and settling into my sister's flat, I am now at the end of my second week at the theatre.

I can't believe I've been here for a fortnight already, the time has flown by. In my first week I watched the Young Company rehearse for the Rosey Project, which I understand went down extremely well when they performed it last week at Hampden. I've also seen rehearsals for Lend Me Your Ears, which I loved being part of, and really can't wait to meet the rest of the cast next week.

As I'll be playing Bianca in Othello, and one of the step sisters in Cinderella, I was invited to a couple of the production meetings. It has really struck me how much work goes into the shows before the actors even have their first read through, how much careful planning goes on, and how hard everyone has to work together to ensure everything runs smoothly.

I've just had a call from Elaine in Wardrobe about measurements , so I'm going to have to nip up and see her now, will write again once rehearsals have begun for Othello...

Cheers, Mairi x

Comments